As we approach yet another somber anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on American soil, I felt compelled to address the internationally scrutinized intentions of a pastor in Florida to burn Korans on Saturday. On the surface, one might try to admire Pastor Terry Jones’ determination and enthusiasm for what he believes. But, to me, this is gravely overshadowed by his unfortunate ignorance in understanding the role of a pastor and the heart of God. I would like to ask Pastor Jones if he thinks that God loves Muslims. I would hope his answer would be, “Yes, of course.” God is Love….plain and simple. We are told that ‘Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good’ in Romans 12:9. Notice that ‘love’ and ‘things which are good’ sandwich the ‘evil’ part in this passage. By burning one or even a few Korans this Saturday, Pastor Jones will not be ridding the world of this book forever…nor is he communicating sincere love, Christ-like love, to anyone! So I ask…what’s the point?
Muslims are not to blame for the horrific attacks of 9/11. A group of hyper-religious, radical activists, full of hate and evil, are responsible. The fact that they were also Muslim does not give us sanction to condemn an entire nation of people…..people who Christ died for just as much as for you or I.
“Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.” James 1:27 (NLT)
Let us not be corrupted by the distractions of this world. And may we also stay focused on things that are pure, good, and acceptable in God’s sight. Pray for Pastor Jones’ safety this weekend…as well as for the safety of our country.
No comments:
Post a Comment